How fond are you of London? Have you been there? Do you want to go there? Is it in your bucket list?
If you want to visit London, you have got to know at least something about it.
You exclaim. The truth is that you are yet to know a lot of things related to London, even though you have already gone through hundreds of articles. In fact, the more you read about this city, the lesser you know.
Here are the things you surely had no idea about:
- Did you know that the medieval London Bridge was in use for more than 600 years?
- You may have heard of Harrod’s; the truth is that it was into selling of cocaine to general visitors until 1916. Then it stopped and moved to other stuff since the drugs became illegal and it could get shut down because of the same.
- London is not very populated anymore, but till 1925, it was very populated. It is said that it was one of the most populated cities on Earth.
- Now this is going to spook you – the Victorian Churchmen were against the London Underground Building; they said the noise of the trains would wake up the devil. They didn’t want to disturb the evil with the noise.
- You must have read about Covent Garden already; it is nothing more or less than a spell error. It was supposed to be a market for a convent.
- We all know about the Tower Bridge; people visit London to get a glimpse of it. It was being used till 1910; when it became the den of prostitutes, it was shut down.
- If you went back in time, you could be a part of the Little Compton Street. The eerie thing is that you can still see the sign of the street and get a glimpse of it when you look through the grill.
- The city witnessed the most terrifying earthquake on 8th of March 1750. People say that the earthquake was so bad that the fish were thrown out of the Thames and could be seen in the air.
- During 1952, the city was highly polluted. In fact, it was so polluted that people were had to be abandoned from the theatres in the midst of performances.